Before we begin to dive into what negative trait is all about, the characteristics of negative traits, and some other factors, it is recommended that you understand what integrity is all about. Integrity is all about the act of being honest and consistent in every aspect of your doings; it is all about principles and values. The opposite of integrity can also be the opposite of hypocrisy.
What is hypocrisy?
Hypocrisy is known as giving a false appearance of positive traits, and hypocrite tends to hide certain character in other to deceive others to get what they want. In some moral and religious content, several books have referred to the act of hypocrisy as profane, in the book of the Bible, there were several instances where Jesus rebukes the acts of the Pharisees and called them hypocrites. In the Islamic religion, the act of hypocrisy is considered to be a sickness.
5 Signs that show you lack integrity
- It is all you: Most people tend to blame their harmful deeds on other people, but little do they know that the issues going on around them or affecting their organization is caused by them. Self-centered individuals tend to think of only themselves, and in such a process, it could harm people or organizations in the process.
- Your self-esteem depends on the opinion of other people: Someone with positive integrity would have the ability to lead other people irrespective of their conditions. However, a hypocrite will always be uncertain of his/her decision making because of other public opinions, which will also mean that he/she won’t be able to lead such an organization or themselves.
- Keeping secrets: hiding certain information is sometimes healthy for a business. But in most cases, it is also important to share information with others. For instance, if you are in a gathering of friends and you are not able to give some spare keys or even share the password of your phone or computer, then those are the signs that you are hiding some things.
- Failure to do what you promised to do: Sometimes it is not all about doing what you promised to do, it is mostly about actually doing it and making sure your words count for something, sometimes it is better to refuse an offer, rather than accepting it and disappointing them at the long run. If such actions keep repeating itself, then those people might begin to lose faith in you.
- Making a lot of compromises: People think being a leader is about being popular or people like you. No, it is about picking up responsibilities and looking for the best solutions; it is also about figuring out the best option that would prove beneficial to other people. If you decide to take several compromises, then your decision or actions will definitely be compromised.
Once learning these flaws in you, it is left to you to pick up what’s left and begin to build on them. As you begin to work on these character flaws, then your integrity develops, and your leadership skills strengthen.
Negative Effects of integrity with the actions of others
- Being taken for granted
There are a lot of people who would like to use you based on the fact that they know you are reliable and trustworthy, being taken for granted and actually finding out about it is not a pretty situation to be in. However, being someone with integrity doesn’t mean you can’t take actions to make people have that respect for you. With these steps, you can learn how not to be taken for granted.
- Politely say “No”: Now, it doesn’t necessarily mean that you should be rude and flare up at people, usually people with integrity are reliable, which could also mean that they are relied on too much, in that way they can be taken for granted, you can simply decline some duties in other to focus on the remaining at hand, because filling your plate with a lot of work would only make them tarnish your integrity by saying you are not reliable at the end of the day.
- Explain to people about your present situation: Giving an explanation why you won’t be able to accept a certain job or perform certain duties doesn’t tarnish one’s image, it only shows honesty and loyalty in what you do. It is advisable to always communicate your current situation to them, rather than letting them communicate their disappointment to you.
- Don’t compare yourself with others: there are situations where you might want to be like your other colleagues and try to make excuses for not performing in a particular task. However, that will only give whoever you are working for a reason to doubt your ability to be reliable.
- No advancement: In this case, usually the person with integrity is not only taken for granted but also neglected, there might be instances where you put most of your time and effort in making certain tasks are accomplished successfully, but due to the fact that you are not really extroverted like your other colleagues, then you might not get noticed by your employer which could lead to delay in promotions. Most of the times, individuals who work merely on ethics are usually pushed aside for colleagues who are outspoken or gregarious. Because of such trait, individuals with integrity might want to emulate such behavior, hence destroying one’s integrity.
There are also several reasons why an employee or an individual might not advance in their place of business.
- Loss of trust
This is an important factor that an organization is usually looking for; a trustworthy individual can always be reliable. However, once that trust is lost, it could take a while before it can be gained back, but most organizations would rather let you go than to become a liability.
- Falsifying records
Dishonest employees would prefer to change records in other to avoid punishment, sometimes employee falsifies records because they see their colleagues do the same or sometimes, even their boss, but a person with integrity should know better.
This is an action that is actually punishable by letting such employee go. Usually, when an employee finds records that could affect an organization, an individual with integrity would know better to present such information to their employer.
- False Utopia: this deals with looking out for your own selfish interest instead of the interest of other people. Some individuals practice this under the false pretense of helping other people. One major issue is self-preservation. Self-preservation in a simple term is to ensure that the person is personally taken care of before any other. In some cases, self-preservation is like a negative right. For a person of integrity, the matter of self-preservation is like a mindset conflict, someone of integrity would always love to consider other people while looking out for themselves also. Someone with integrity knows better to always do the right thing, whether it is for themselves or for other people. They also know how to appreciate people’s time, which means to someone of integrity; they always know the value of time and gives credit to such people.